The details of my exhilarating Friday night aside, the truly fascinating part of this conversation came about after one friend expressed his frustration with government in a way that I have noticed is very typical of many casual observers of politics (by which I am not necessarily implying 'low-information voter'). This scenario usually begins with a bit of a rant about nothing being accomplished in DC, is then followed up by complaints about wasteful programs and various follies of the federal government, and tends to finalize with some form of a visual show of disapproval and exhaustion (I.e. sp,e combination of a down-turned head shake, a facial expression of disgust, and the throwing of one's hands). This, I'm sure, is an occurrence that many of us have seen and possibly even preformed ourselves. What really struck me, though, was the response he was offered, or rather force-fed, by a guy that I consider to be particularly articulate, well-read, and usually rational in his evaluation of social matters. He was not argumentative, nor was he empathetic, instead I thought of how a harmful mental patient might be quelled...
His offering was, to paraphrase:
Yes government sucks, of course it does, because it has been hijacked by corporations. Political actors no longer need to be truly responsive to the people, it is now simply and entirely political theater for the enjoyment of the population. The corporate donors are now the puppet-masters and that is the way it will continue... No use in denying it... No use in trying to change it...
Fear not, Dr. Huxley is prescribing you Soma, "One cubic centimetre cures ten gloomy sentiments."
I have been chewing on this for about a week now because of the message (and the source) and I must say that this frightens me. It is easy to understand why my friend would say that corporations are manipulating our political system. The obvious thing to point out is the decision of the Citizens United case which gave way to Super PACs, something which Stephen Colbert has done quite well exposing. Another event to point to is the institutionalization of advocacy groups that really took shape in the 1960's following the centralization of the federal government in the post-New Deal era. This all aside, it is important to think about what is actually happening within our "corporate political takeover."
As corporations are able to exert more influence, through lobbying or through financial support by way of campaign donations and political action committees, they are affecting the messages we receive in both number and content. They are targeting us in ways that will work best according to their studies, whether it is through fear, random lie, or just playing the numbers game as they bombard us with ads.
Candidates on the other hand remain vague as they attempt to appease every potential segment of the voting population they can. In doing so there are no bold pronouncements, with fewer substantial messages offered. My feelings on how to reverse this are expressed in part through a wonderful book by Jeffrey Green entitled The Eyes of the People: Democracy in the Age of Spectatorship. The very stripped down and simple concept here is that we as citizens must demand more as critical observers of our politicians. We must not simply say 'my guy is better and your guy worse because my preferred cable news outlet says so.'
In the first place, politics is not a sport with a routing interest, we must demand to understand in relatable terms which candidate behaves according to our collective best interest. More importantly, we must demand a news outlet that professionally relays political coverage in a responsible manner, or rather support the few that remain. To this point I would like to offer the following soundbite of Ellis Henican speaking at the New York Press Club recently.
Download
(Courtesy of C-SPAN's Washington Today)
A final thought, regarding this proposal for raising the bar of political discourse. It seems fairly obvious that this is part of an epidemic of our culture. Our choices of entertainment speak volumes to our political awareness. We have given up newspapers for US Weekly magazine, just as we have traded 60 Minutes for Housewives of Trashville. Although I know it is somewhat ironic, I truly suggest the South Park episode from this past week entitled Raising the Bar. These guys do a great job pointing out not only that people now watch nonsense, but they also question whether they play a role in it all.
All I'm saying is, DO NOT INTERRUPT ME WHILE I'M WATCHING 'OW MY BALLS!" CAUSE THAT IS NOT COOL!
... Oh yeah, and raise the level of discourse with your family, friends, in your books, magazines and on your TV.
-Orlando
No comments:
Post a Comment