Tuesday, October 13, 2009

System of Checks and Balances...

Bookmark and Share
It would appear that in one of the houses of Congress, elected officials find that accountability does not suit them very well. The House of Representatives has a system in place account for missing office equipment worth over $500, but Rep. Brady (D-PA) has the sole power to waive the costs.

“It’s one of those cynical circumstances where the Congress publicly feigns a higher level of accountability and, when nobody is looking, manages to let themselves off the hook,” 



During this past year, 12 waivers requests have been made, and everyone has been granted by Rep. Brady worth as much as $1,800.

According to Jonathan Allen of Politico:

"...there is also no public paper trail for these requests and no transparency about who gets the waivers and why."
This lack of scrutiny is sponsored by a portion of the working Americans weekly salary. I propose we the constituents express our disapproval of this type of bureaucratic nonsense.

Click here to contact your Representative to the House.

You may use the following suggested text:

Regarding the matter of waivers for missing equipment, it has come to my attention that there is "no public paper trail for these requests and no transparency about who gets the waivers and why." Furthermore, I have discovered that all 12 of the requests made this year have been granted and each amounts to as much as $1800.
The fact that the requests are made by the House, for the House, and never leave the House is simply inexcusable. I would like call for legislation to bring transparency to this process. I would like to see waivers submitted to a separate governing body for consideration.
Thank you in advance for your careful consideration of my suggestions. I do look forward to your thoughtful reply. 
 

Read the full article here: Taxpayers foot bill for missing items - Jonathan Allen - POLITICO.com

|

No comments:

Post a Comment